The purpose of this page is to educate parents about today’s Marijuana trends. The Coalition For Placer Youth conducts regular community studies, with the latest results revealing a surprising rise in teen marijuana use.
Whether you are against it, for it, or neutral, you should be having ongoing conversations with your teen about substance use and abuse. This information on this page focuses on marijuana, how weed has evolved over the years, recreational versus medical marijuana, and the developing brain.
For tips on getting the conversation started, click HERE.
Please peruse the other pages of our website as well that provide information about alcohol, prescription drugs and other drugs.
The Teen Brain
- PBS Frontline: Inside the Teenage Brain
- NPR: Why teens are impulsive, addiction-prone and should protect their brains
- Multiplying Connections: The Amazing Adolescent Brain
The Teen Brain & Marijuana
- Drug Policy Alliance: Does marijuana kill brain cells?
- Time Magazine: This is what pot does to the teenage brain
- Choices Magazine: The marijuana infographic every teen needs to see
Teen Marijuana Trends
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA): High school and youth trends
- NIDA for Teens: What is marijuana? How is it used? How does it affect the brain?
Medical Marijuana vs. Recreational Weed
- Council on Drug Abuse: From the cabinet or the street: How is medical marijuana different than the street drug?
- United Patient’s Group: Street vs medical marijuana: Top 2 reasons why medical is better
How marijuana is used
- Choices Magazine: The unknown dangers of synthetic marijuana
- Auburn-Journal: Vaping ‘dabs’ at school, latest way to overdose on THC
Other useful websites for parents
NOTE: This page will be actively updated with relevant resources. Visit us again soon!